A History of Midwest Values
Red Giant began doing business in 1910 selling oil and other products to farmers and farm equipment dealers in the Midwest. The name was later changed to E-Z Manufacturing Company and incorporated in the year 1946. Just two years later, our name was permanently changed to Red Giant Oil Company.
Fred J. Galvani, who had been a salesman for the company, purchased Red Giant Oil Company in 1959. Five years later, he purchased Searle Petroleum Company from the Harry Searle family, which had owned and operated that lubrication business since 1889.
In the mid 1980’s, Red Giant Oil/Searle Petroleum Company began selling new railroad engine oil to two Class 1 railroads. Today, the company is the largest supplier of locomotive engine oil in North America.
Fred Galvani continued working at the company along with his son-in-law, Gary L. Bills, until his death in 2004. With the untimely death of Mr. Bills in 2005, the company became woman-owned by Fred’s widow, Lorraine Galvani, and his daughter, Sherryl G. Bills-Taylor. The company remains a family-owned business and continues to expand its lubricating and manufacturing capabilities under the leadership of Sherryl.